Saturday, April 6

Confessions: I Could Have Been a Math Major

DISCLAIMER:
This is not a dig at people who enjoy math, who have degrees in math, or jobs related to math.
It's just me being snarky and slightly honest.

Sometimes people ask me why I'm an English major.
They're like "Oh, do you want to teach?"
I don't really, and I can't help but think that if I wanted to teach, I'd be an education major.
But English is just something I enjoy and that I'm good at, and I thought reading books and writing essays for four years would be alright.
Yep.
But I'm also good at math -- or at least I was about five years ago. 
Haven't taken it since then.
I'm taking it now.
And I love it.
But the thing is, I just couldn't do math for four years.
Well, maybe I could have, but I don't think I'd have liked it.
Mostly because of Geometry.
Just not my thing.
In high school, my math teacher begged me to be an engineer, but I hate Geometry, so that wasn't really something I wanted to do.
I finally got him to stop telling me that by saying that if I did become an engineer, all I'd make is roller coasters and he'd have to test ride all of them.
That worked.
But I used to be really good at it.
I could solve small-ish matrices in my head, I still can foil quite a bit mentally, and stuff like that.
I'm surprised my professor hasn't gotten on me yet for not showing a lot of my work.
I might take more math next year, just to fill up empty space in my schedule, but next year is pretty much anything I want to do, so maybe I'll take some math. . .
Maybe I won't.
Heck, maybe they'll offer an equestrian class.
That'd be fun.
But don't think I don't like math much because it's hard.
No, that's part of why I like math: you have to figure it out; it's not just memorization.
I mean, English is hard too.
You try remembering what the Great Vowel Shift was, or how Proto-Indo-European converts Greek and Latin to English and stuff.
I like a good challenge.
But I have to admit that math has a one-upper on English as far as I'm concerned.
In English, you can read things pretty much however you want, but in math, 2+2 always equals 4.
I like that.
Consistency and concreteness is cool.
(And that's ^ alliteration.)
There's just one thing I don't really understand about math.
I mean, English majors learn how to think critically, and that's a skill you can use anywhere.
Math majors learn how to think analytically, and that's a skill you can use anywhere.
But I just don't understand why we learn some of the stuff we do in math.
Isn't a lot of that more theoretical than applicational?
Theoretical's totally fine, really, but . . . isn't applicational more useful?
I mean, under what circumstances would somebody need to know this?
I'm not being snarky here, I swear.
This is an honest to God question.
Is this like a real thing?
I've got the concept down fine, I'm just curious.
Other than teaching my kids someday.
If I even remember it that long.

8 comments:

  1. I wish I was that good at math, I think I would have wanted to be a math major. And I think if you had become an engineer (or something similar), you'd need some of that stuff. But I totally agree, one of the reasons I LOVE English and languages in general is that you can actually use them. And you can communicate with people, for example, if I hadn't learned English (not my mother tongue), I wouldn't even be able to write this right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. =)
      Yeah, I mean I know there's uses for math too, but I just feel like I'd make more use of what I'm doing now.
      The world has nowhere near enough roller coasters, but I'll leave that to somebody else who lives and breathes Geometry.
      ;D

      Delete
  2. I come from a long line of mathematicians. I became an engineer and did math for 4 years, and then once I got an engineering job never saw it again. I've now forgotten all the math I've learned and along with it my passion for it. That being said -- there is theoretical math and applied math. My parents who are professors do theoretical math, and honestly I have no idea what its uses are ;) But my brother does applied math (works for a bank). I do know, too, that all that stuff you learned, while it doesn't make any sense as to why you'd ever need to know it, it is used in real-life situations. :) I was a systems engineer and used crazy complicated math (calculus, differential equations, etc) to optimize things... (See, I told you I don't remember any of it...). This high level weird math is used to design controllers for fighter jets, helicopters, pace makers, automated chemical processes... the application of math seriously is infinite I think. It's just that joe-schmo will never see the math behind life. You don't see the math that goes into building your car, your phone, or anything else you use daily. You don't see all the math that goes into deciding who gets what credit card offers in the mail (yup, those annoying mailers are sent out based on complex math). :) Another reason some people might hate math, actually. Math is also behind how stores determine who to send what coupons -- I read an awesome article about the algorithms used by Target to determine what you might need by looking at your recent purchases. Target's program is so good that they might know you're pregnant before your spouse does ;) Haha! And for the record -- I have always sucked at English. Math was my strong suit. I had to spend hours and hours and weeks and weeks studying for the verbal portion of the GRE -- the math portion? cake. Oh... and geometry was my downfall, too. But once you get past high school, you really don't see it much ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That actually makes a ton of sense!
      I vaguely remember learning something about algorithms at one point in high school, and I think I liked them, so I just might take the next level next year. =)
      That's hilarious about Target, by the way! Haha!

      Delete
  3. Me and math dont get along so I can't help ya there.

    join the blog hop http://pinkowl07.blogspot.com/2013/04/blog-hop-every-sunday-night.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't have done math for four years either!

    xx
    Kelly
    Sparkles and Shoes

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving a comment?
Bless your heart!