Friday, October 19

Words We Should Change the Definition of: Adorable

Okay, this is what happens when you have too much to do and you do none of it - you think of words to change the definitions of. But whatever. 
So, "adorable". 
What does that mean?
When people say adorable, they usually mean "cute", "sweet", stuff like that.
But to "adore" means to: "regard with the utmost esteem, love, and respect; honor" (Dictionary.com). 
Hmm. Interesting.
To "be adorable" isn't as cutesy as we've made it. 
To "be adorable" is really something everyone should be, not just babies, puppies, and kittens.
Which is unfortunate, because I use adorable a lot. 
But sometimes I do use it in the right context. 
I wonder if people know that . . .

8 comments:

  1. I've actually thought about that word before! I dissect words often, and this is one i came across a while back; today i dissected advent-ure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Advent-ure . . . huh . . . that one hadn't occurred to me . . .

      Delete
  2. You have a lovely blog! :)
    I haven't thought about that word before, but what you are saying is actually true, it is something everyone should be.

    Oh, do you really want to speak Latin and German, as it says in your URL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!

      Haha, yeah, I do. My ancestors were German, and Latin's just kinda cool in general. =)

      Delete
    2. Well that is funny, actually I am German. :)

      Delete
    3. Really? Oh, wow, that IS funny!

      Delete
  3. I've never thought about it that way! So I should tell my hubby that calling him "adorable" is actually a good thing... not something that his man-pride should get hurt over LOL

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving a comment?
Bless your heart!