Tuesday, February 7

Random English-y Thought . . .

So, in Old and Middle English, "knight" was pronounced "ki-nig-it".
Yes, like in the Monty Python and the Holy Grail French Taunting Scene.
True story.
The pronunciation, not the . . . well, you know that . . . right?
Anyhoo, I was just letting my mind wander off because I get tired of holding onto that leash with white knuckles, and I wound up thinking about that new Batman movie coming out this year, "The Dark Knight Rises".
. . .
How awkward would that be if we still said it that way?!
I mean, we wouldn't really think twice about it, I suppose, if everyone said it like that.
But still, "ki-nig-it" and Bale's Batman voice (which sounds like he's gargling marbles, apparently) is . . . um . . . pretty stark contrast.
Just sayin'.
Although, it would be pretty awesome to hear the Joker say it that way.

2 comments:

  1. I love this bit of trivia--shows how fluid and dynamic language is. We take for granted that the words we use are solid and mean what they mean, but usage and pronounciation are totally malleable. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! (Apparently, I have a penchant for trivia.) =D

    ReplyDelete

You're leaving a comment?
Bless your heart!