Saturday, October 13

My Thoughts on . . . Carmen

So, Carmen's pretty much one of the most famous operas ever. 
Meh.
What would I rate it?
Gosh, probably a 2 or a 3 out of 5. 
I'm really not a big fan of it.
Why?
Well, not because it's "too mainstream" -- that really doesn't bother me. 
It just feels like there's something lacking in the ending, and if you don't know the ending, I'm certainly not going to spoil it for you. Go watch it yourself.
(Though I did stick a hint in the tags . . . )
The music is wonderful, and although the overture and music from the first and last acts are the most famous, there's some pretty good stuff in between, too. 
I have to admit, though, that the first time I watched it, I was struck by the irony . . .
It's an opera set in Spain, where they speak French, performed in Germany, while I was watching it in America, with English subtitles. 
(Oh yes, I do suggest watching operas with subtitles - very helpful. Unless you're actually going to one, in which case I'd suggest sticking a libretto in your mother tongue in your bag.)
But yeah, something just seems missing to me. And it's a bit overused (not the same as mainstream).

Overall rating: 2.5/5

Any thoughts on my review? Did I miss anything or not give it a fair shot? Comment below!

Next . . . Fidelio . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

You're leaving a comment?
Bless your heart!