Monday, October 14

Being 21

Remember when you were a kid and you thought Sweet 16 was so far away? I mean, heck, Sleeping Beauty, Ariel, and Snow White were married at 16!
And then you turned 16 and you realized that you didn't know anything and what the heck were those girls thinking, getting married at 16?!
You just got your driver's licence!
You thought 18 was the thing. You could tackle anything when you were 18.
Until you turned 18.
Then you realized you totally do not have a handle on much at all.
The next milestone is 21.
21.
Where you can literally - and legally - do anything you want.
Within reason, obviously.
Well, let me tell you, Girls-younger-than-21, 21 is not what it's cracked up to be.
Yeah, you can basically do whatever you want . . . but with that said, there's a lot of responsibility on your shoulders.
I know a lot of gals my age - including myself - that would just love nothing more than to curl up with a tub of ice cream or and popcorn and watch Disney Princess movies all day.
And maybe a little a lot of Doctor Who.
But we can't.
We've got college.
We've got jobs.
We've got bills to pay, assignments due, and people counting on us to get things done.
That's not to say that we don't have moments of calm or just time to have fun and relax, but those moments don't come often.
Girls-younger-than-21, treasure your moments of freedom.
You might be bored, but another word for boredom is free.
And treasure the innocence.
And the simplicity.
Enjoy it while you can.
It's not going to last.

6 comments:

  1. I wouldn't pay to be 21 again...cause you are right...it's like some crazy coming of age...when you start realizing you can't be that carefree kid anymore and that wasn't any fun for me. I loved 18...the cusp of child and adult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 18 was really fun, but I feel like 17 is the most awkward age, right in between Sweet 16 and (Mostly) Legal 18. But those days were great.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean. Looking back I wish I would have made better use of my time when I was younger and appreciated it instead of always looking forward to that next big milestone.

    And I'm so with you on Doctor Who :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! It's still a struggle even now, treasuring what we have while we have it.

      Haha, a friend got me addicted. :) I watched three episodes straight last night.

      Delete

You're leaving a comment?
Bless your heart!